Thursday, December 10, 2009

How can I make a hearty soup? I'm starting with navy beans. I've got cream on hand.?

My mother suggested mashed potato flakes. I've got chicken broth and beef broth. Any more suggestions, please.How can I make a hearty soup? I'm starting with navy beans. I've got cream on hand.?
Add chopped carrots, a chopped onion, garlic if you like it, a couple of diced tomatoes or a can of crushed tomatoes. Don't forget the bay leaf and some salt and pepper. Bring it to a boil, then simmer for at least 1/2 hour, an hour is better.How can I make a hearty soup? I'm starting with navy beans. I've got cream on hand.?
To make a soup hearty, start with a base of onions and a bit of garlic, cooked in some butter. Once transparent and a little golden add flour to make a ';roux'; (pr. ';roo';) - cook until it turns light golden - make sure you cook it for at least 3-5 minutes, so that it won't taste like flour. Add hot chicken broth to the roux as you stir so that don't end up with any lumps in your soup. The more flour you use top make the roux, the thicker your soup will turn. Add the beans, vegetables such as carrots and whatever you have in the fridge, like pieces of ham or chicken leftovers. Add a bay leaf and let simmer for 10 min (if beans are cooked or canned) or 45 minutes if the beans are just soaked but uncooked. Add some heavy cream right before serving and garnish with chopped parsley or basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin