Saturday, November 28, 2009

How important is it that I get a seperate hand cream?

Usually I just use my regular body cream on my hands, but lately I've been hearing that I should get one specifically formulated for my hands. Do you think this is just a marketing ploy? Or are these creams actually different in that they're specifically designed for the hands?How important is it that I get a seperate hand cream?
Mostly marketing. If you look at the ';active'; ingredients on the package, most lotions and creams share the same ingredients. If your hands are drier than the rest of your body (it's common) others could be suggesting something stronger to help with that. You can use something like ammonium lactate cream, which is prescribed often but does not require a prescription.





If your hands are fine using the lotion you're using now, don't bother.How important is it that I get a seperate hand cream?
If you read the back of the label you'll find little difference if any at all.


If you need a thicker or stronger cream for dry skin then I can def see that you may want to pick up another one for your hands.


Yes, it is a marketing scheme. My boyfriend has pretty much ridded me of all of my different shampoos and lotions just by taking the time to sit me down and pointing out the ingredients. They are all the same! Disappointing but true.


Marketers know that we're women and we'll buy or at least think about buying anything in a pretty bottle, anything with the word ';new formula'; on it, etc. But really, all it takes is a couple of seconds to actually READ and you'll discover you already have 5 bottles of the same stuff at home.
I don't really think it makes a difference, but you could always read the ingredients of a hand cream and a body cream of the same brand and compare them.


But, did you know that using a moisturizer every day will cause your skin to stop producing its own moisture making you dependent on a product to keep your skin 'healthy', if you can call it that?
Are your hands dry or something. I usually just use body cream too, I don't think it will hurt for you to keep using what you do, unless your hands are really dry. If so try eczema cream for babies with the brand name Disney, believe me if it works for my husbands hands, it will work for yours.
They are pretty much the same. Differnet perfumy stuff, that's about all. The list of skin emollients is the same, and manufacturers and marketers change them around and repackage them to make more sales. You can save tons by buying generics or at a $1 store.





Most women won't like this answer.
Some hand creams have more moisture and oil in them which is good for dry skin. Some hand creams are fragrance free which is good for sensitive and people with allergies.


Be careful, big hype in selling expensive creams which do no more than over the counter creams.
Hands tend to be more rough b/c they come into contact with More things. They're usually a better moisturizers for this reason.





So if you don't have horribly rough hands I would say that it doesn't make much of a difference.
I use the same lotion for everthing, feet, body, face and hands. I'm sure you've heard of Lubriderm?? I think it's the best. No problem at all. The hand/foot creams are a little thicker..not sure the difference in ingredients.
Unless you have excessive drying or wrinkling (which I doubt), stick with your regular body cream. That will work just fine.
My wife uses separate cream for her hands. I'm not allowed to use it, it's too expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin